Airbrush Digest magazine has called Fredric Harwin "an author, a teacher, an artist and a scientist - but above all a man of vision; a visual communicator." The New England Journal of Medicine said of his work, "The book is blessed with a medical illustrator who is not content with the watchful passivity of a photographer. He obviously shares with his surgical co-authors the 'continuing ability to create and accommodate.'" Featured in Communication Arts and on CNN, Harwin's talent and attention to detail has been recognized across the country. He has even been the subject of an award-winning short documentary entitled "Ocularist," which premiered at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival.
Medical Drawings |
Ocular Prosthetics |
Fine Art |
Movie & Media |
Fred Harwin was awarded a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in interior architecture, drawing and painting from Wayne State University. He then went on to receive his Master of Science degree in medical and biological illustration from the University of Michigan.
After completing school, Harwin served as the Director of Medical Illustration at Wayne County General Hospital, a teaching affiliate of the University of Michigan. He later joined the faculty at Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland, Ore. Harwin has also taught at Portland State University, the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry and was an Adjunct Professor of Medical Illustration at the University of California's San Francisco Medical Center. Today, he serves as an Adjunct Professor of the Medical Illustration program jointly run by the Cleveland Clinic and the Cleveland Institute of Art.
- American Society of Ocularist-BCO, BADO
- Association of Medical Illustrators-Fellow
- Guild of Natural Science Illustrators
- Nob Hill Lions Club
Fredric has worked with many pharmaceutical, medical product, and scientific companies, including:
- W.L. Gore and Associates (Gore-tex)
- Anatomical Chart Company
- Encyclopedia Britannica
Illustrations appearing in over 180 periodicals and books. Notable ones include:
- Handbook of Cardiac Surgery, Co-author with Bradley J. Harlan MD, and Albert
5tarr, MD. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1995.
- Manual of Cardiac Surgery, 2nd . Edition. Co-author with Bradley J.
Harlan, MD and Albert 5tarr, MD. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1994.
- Manual of Cardiac Surgery, Volumes I and II. Co-author with Bradley
J. Harlan, MD and Albert 5tarr, MD. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1982.
- Psychology, Themes and Variations, Weiten, Thomson-Wadsworth, Seventh Edition, 2004
- In Search of the Human Mind, Sternberg, Harcourt Brace, 1995
More than 100 Speaking engagements including:
- John Hopkins Medical Center: Visiting Teacher, Baltimore, Maryland
- Cleveland Institute of Art and Cleveland Clinic; Adjunct Professor, Cleveland, Ohio
- Association of Medical Illustrators: Continuing education/lectures and workshops
- Keynote Speaker at Midwest Conference 2000
- "Production of a Surgical Atlas"
- "The Artist as an Illustrator"
- "Color, Technique, and Theory"
- American Association of Anaplastology: "Ocular Prosthetics"
- Oregon Academy of Ophthalmology: "Ocular Prosthetics and the Opthalmologist"
- American Society of Ocularists; Continuing education courses
Guild of Natural Science Illustrators: Keynote Speaker, "The Illustrator and the Creative Concept", San Francsico, CA
- "Color Theory"
- "Improving Patient Care"
- "Creating the Illusion of A Dialating Pupil"
- Lions Clubs: "Ocular Prosthetics", numerous engagements; regional and state conventions.
- University of Arkansas: "Visual Communications in Health Sciences";' Little Rock, AK
- Oregon Medical Association "Medical Illustration: Portland, OR
- National Association of Defense Council: "The Use of Visuals as Demonstrative Evidence in Medical Cases", Chicago, IL
- Paris Art and Science Museum, Paris, France
- Oregon Health Sciences";' University, Portland, OR
- University, of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Portland Art Museum, Portland, OR
- Thomas Jefferson School of Medicine, Philadelpia, PA
- Oregon Society of Arts and Crafts, Portland, OR
- University, of Arkansas Medical Center, Little Rock, AK
Center for Ocular Prosthetics, LLC
2525 NW Lovejoy Suite 306 Portland, OR 97210